Bullying Prevention Hotline
Bullying Prevention & School Crime
Anonymous Tip Line
Inclement Weather Info
In the event that it is necessary to either delay school opening or cancel school for the day, Red Clay officials will send a telephone message to all parents and staff regarding the closing, as well as contacting the following radio and television stations: WDEL 1150, WILM 1450, WJBR 99FM, WNRK 1260, WJBR 1290, WXCY 103.7FM and WRDX 94.7FM, and use automated television systems provided by NBC (Channel 10), ABC (Channel 6) and FOX 29. The district also uses the Delaware Department of Education school closings website located at http://schoolclosings.delaware.gov (no www in address is necessary) and updates its own website, located at www.redclay.k12.de.us. Please be advised that television stations provide limited information. The most detail is available on radio stations and the websites listed above.
- Delay start two (2) hours (no half-day pre-kindergarten) – day ends regular time, staff reports at regular time.
- Cancel all classes (schools closed, offices opened) – students and 10-month employees (teachers and paraprofessionals) do not report. All after-school and evening activities are cancelled. All other staff members are to report at the regular time. Clerks coordinate with their supervisor as to whether or not they report on these days.
- Cancel all classes (schools and offices closed) – all District operations are cancelled, only emergency personnel are to report.
LIBERAL LEAVE: In some cases of schools being closed, the Superintendent will announce that “Liberal Leave’ is in effect. This means that 12 month employees who are not critical to emergency clean-up may opt to take a vacation day or personal day without prior approval.
If the Superintendent announces a delay or cancellation of school:
- The Public Information Officer, contacts radio and television before 5:30 A.M.
- The AlertNow system will be used to notify staff and parents of appropriate information. Every effort will be made to have this call started at 6:00 A.M.
Bad Weather Bus Stops 11/11/2010
During inclement weather there are occasions when some district roads are too hazardous for buses to travel to their regular bus stops. When this occurs I will request that the Superintendent announce Bad Weather Bus Stops:
- Stops were developed with all students’ and drivers’ safety in mind.
- Stops and times are published and provided to the students in mid-November.
- Bad weather bus stops are listed on the district website.
- Once the stops are announced they remain in effect for the entire day.
If the Superintendent calls an early dismissal, the Public Information Officer will contact radio and television stations, and will send an AlertNow message with any appropriate information. Transportation will contact School Bus contractors and begin driver recall. The following early dismissal schedule is followed so that older children and working parents can get home in time to meet younger children.
|1 hour after initial announcement||1 hour 15 minutes later|
|All High Schools
All Middle Schools
Meadowood High & Middle Programs
First State Hospital Program
|All Elementary Schools
Richardson Park ILC